Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 7 mo old puppy lab/collie mix swallowed a cottonball

Customer Question

My 7 mo old puppy lab/collie mix swallowed a cottonball soaked in Hydrogen Peroxide, do I ned to take her to the emergency vet?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the puppy will be able to digest that. What is the collie's name?
Customer: Elsa
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elsa?
Customer: I gave her the dose of 3% HP and walked her around then she threw up. Will she be ok.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

May I ask your Elsa's weight? When you say she vomited, did she bring up the cotton ball?

Thank you

Even though the cotton ball is not digested by the stomach, it's size should not cause any issues with an obstruction in a dog that is over 25 pounds. As a precaution you can:

1.) Feed a few pieces of bread now

2.) Take a nice walk to help move the material through. Not running around but a leash walk which helps encourage emptying of the stomach and digestion

3.) In about 2 hours repeat the bread which is used to help push the foreign body to hopefully push them through

4.) Monitor for signs of the cotton ball coming out the other end in the next 24-48 hours if it wasn't vomited

5.) Again tomorrow a few nice long leash walks to help encourage gi motility and pushing the cotton ball through the intestinal tract

This is the difficult part, the watching and waiting because all we can do is see if they pass on their own which I highly suspect it will but knowing how to proceed is best. If there is any vomiting or reduced appetite after tonight then please consider a veterinary exam as a precaution

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is Elsa doing today?

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!