Dr-Bonk
Dr-Bonk, Veterinarian
Experience:  Five years as a veterinarian working with man's best friend. Have worked with pets, hunting and herding dogs, hounds, and breeders.
92155571

I have a 3 yr old female dachshund with a think a urinary

Customer Question

I have a 3 yr old female dachshund with a think a urinary infection of some sort. Urine reddish. Problems going pee. Often will try a long time but little comes out. Other times she pees a lot and doesn't even try to go outside. I have antibiotics, would that be safe to try?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Bonk. I'm sorry to hear about Daisy's troubles. Symptoms of a urinary infection are just as you said, there is often blood in the urine and straining when trying to pee. They can also have urinary leakage and be vomiting. The best thing to do is have a urinalysis performed by a vet. This can help rule out other things like bladder stones, crystals, or underlying problems like diabetes. I would not give the antibiotics until you know for sure what Daisy is dealing with. Please let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am unemployed and very VERY limited on cash right now. Would it be safe to give her antibiotics? Wouldn't it be better to try antibiotics until I can make it to the Vet? If so, I have Amoxicillin 500 mg Capsules, how would I divide it to get the proper dose? I've read 5-10 mg per pound. But I can't figure how to safely and easily divide 1 capsule into 5-10 mg doses. Or ... she's about 20 lbs so I guess I could divide it into 5 - 100 mg. Or could I add 1 capsule into liquid and divide the liquid into doses?
Expert:  Dr-Bonk replied 10 months ago.

You could try the amoxicillin until you can get her checked out. It's not the best antibiotic for bladder infections but it sure could help. Add one capsule to 5 ml of water, mix well and give 1 ml every 12 hours. If it seems to help, continue for at least 10 days. It would be best to mix as you go rather than mix enough for 10 days right now.