Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an extremely skinny dog. But she acts like she is

Customer Question

I have an extremely skinny dog. But she acts like she is okay. She eats regularly. I took her to vet and everything checked out okay.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello.

Can you post pictures of her. I would like to see how thin she is.

Also, did they do any bloodwork?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is a Pomeranian. She has a lot of fur. And yes they did bloodwork
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

What are you feeding her? And how much per day?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She eats dry dog food. I just leave the food out and she eats whenever she wants
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I when I feed her wet dog food she gobbles it down
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok thanks.

She doesn't look all that small in the picture. I know it's hard to tell with all that fur, but I'm not too worried here.

I would try to meal feed her if you can. This may take a couple weeks to get her used to it, but eventually dogs will get the hang of it. You put out a certain amount of food 2 or 3 times a day. The amount is based on what you are feeding. There should be a chart on the bag, as they are all a little different as far as calories per cup. My guess is it'll be ~ 1/4 cup 2-3 times daily.

If she's not eating right away, then I would add some canned food to the dry to stimulate her appetite.

If her bloodwork is normal, then it's probably that she's just not consuming as many calories as she's burning. In that case, the goal is to figure out how much per day she's eating and increase it by 10-20%. Checking the weight every 1-2 weeks and increasing or decreasing the food amount is the best way to manage it.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.