Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Pam Cobb. My dog has been chewing on a tube that has

Customer Question

Pam Cobb. My dog has been chewing on a tube that has polymyxin b sulfate, bacitracin zink and neomycin is this poisonous?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she has broken the tube and there are teeth marks all over.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How much do you think your dog had?

How long ago?

Did she eat any of the tube itself?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hi again,

I have not heard back from you but do want to leave my thoughts.

Generally speaking, this product isn't poisonous but the Bacitracin is the one element that can cause issue. Though if she just ate a bit, then we'd just expect GI upset if anything at all.

Therefore, if that is the case, then you can start some supportive care to offset that. To do so, you can consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. As well, if she shows any nausea, then you can try her with an OTC pet friendly antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, these situations tend to be quite low risk unless the dog eats the tube or a lot of Bacitracin. So, as long as those are not issues, we'd want to use supportive care to offset any risk of stomach upset.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)