Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is an 18month old bernese mountain dog weighing 50kg.

Customer Question

My dog is an 18month old bernese mountain dog weighing 50kg. She was sterlised at 8 weeks old by her breeders vet. Last week I noticed bleeding from her vulva so I took her to the vet, they did a blood test and the results came back that she has active ovarian tissue. The vet has advised the tissue left over can be so tiny that they will need to give her a hormone injection that promotes ovulation, so that the tissue left over will enlarge and they can perform surgery to remove what was left over. The vet recommends my dog have the surgery to prevent ovarian and mammary cancer as well as uterine infection. I'd like a second opinion and am wondering what the chances are of her developing these diseases compared to unsterilised dogs. Is it the same even though she hasn't got all of her reproductive organs?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now that is a shame to hear that ovarian tissue was left in during her spay. In this case, it is advisable to have a second surgery to remove this. This is because this tissue is a source of hormone production and that means she will have a similar risk of ovarian and mammary cancer as a non-spayed female would because she still has active hormone production. The only lessening with these is that she may have slightly less risk of ovarian cancer since she has less tissue to potentially become cancerous, but what is left has the same risk as an unspayed female has. Otherwise, while her lack of uterus (unless she had a laproscopic key hole spay) means she cannot get an infected uterus; we can even see uterine "stump" infections in the left over tissue of the cervix in these cases. So, this is a situation where that left over tissue is a problem because unlike the uterus that was removed, the ovarian tissue produces hormones that means we again have those risks that we'd hoped to avoid with spaying.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)