Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 12 week old rotty and she has a golf ball sized lump

Customer Question

I have a 12 week old rotty and she has a golf ball sized lump on her left lower jaw seems to be right under the hinge point. It is firm but she doesn't seem to be in any pain or bothering her but it bothers me. Also I can squeeze it and she seems as though it doesn't bother her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now based on your description and this lump's location, we do have a few concerns. Mainly we'd be wary of this being related to the submandibular lymph node or salivary gland. Both can be enlarged due to infection or inflammation. The salivary gland can also enlarge if blocked and we an also see this related to growths in either tissue (though less likely at such a young age). Otherwise, just to note, we can see abscesses, hematomas, and allergic reactions in this area but between your treatment and her lack of response to palpation; these are less likely.With this all in mind, the best way to approach an abnormal lump like this is to have your vet evaluate the lump via fine needle aspiration (FNA). This is where the vet uses a needle to harvest cells from the lump. If they remove pus, then this tells us that there is infection present and antibiotics can be dispensed. If saliva, then salivary gland issues would be suspect and they can try antibiotics/ anti-inflammatories to rule out infection and inflammation. Otherwise, if the above are not found, then the cells they harvest can be stained to tell us what is present and whether it is something that needs more serious treatment.Overall, these would be our concerns for Koda's lump. Since it has not settled with Benadryl, we'd not assume this was allergic in nature and an FNA would be ideal at this stage. That way we know what we are facing and therefore can address it appropriately for her. Please take care, Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

I have only given her 1 dose of benadryl

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hi again,Have you seen any change with that one dose?Was there a risk of sting in this odd site (since its usually noses and paws that are affected)?How long has it been present?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Not yet I'll check it in a couple of hours. We live in the desert so anything is possible from a spider to scorpion to snake and everything in between.its been there about 3 days now.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
Hi again,If it has been three days without starting to settle itself, I'd be less suspicious of allergic reactions to insects causing it directly. (Snake bites usually would cause signs at the bite site). That said, as I noted the lymph node can inflame in response to infection/inflammation. So, do make sure to check for stings and bites on the chest, fore legs, feet, and around the mouth since stings at those sites could cause longer lasting lymph node reaction. While doing so, you can try the Benadryl further, but we'd want this tested if that didn't all settle in another 24-48 hours.All the best for Koda,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)