Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is dehydrated, but the only thing I have onhand is a

Customer Question

my dog is dehydrated, but the only thing I have onhand is a product with stevia, orange, lemon, pineapple juices and electrolytes. Is this safe to give him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In this situation, we are best not to use that product with Zatoichi. Stevia has not been extensively studied in dogs, so we cannot assume it is safe. Especially as we do know it can cause diarrhea, which would worsen dehydration. Instead, you are best to just use plain water if you have no pet friendly electrolyte solutions (ie Lectaid, Pedialyte, etc) on hand. In regards ***** ***** to give, you need to be syringing or feeding 48 millilitres of water for every kilogram of his weight. If he is losing fluid via diarrhea, you need to also give an equivalent amount to match his losses. Though if he is vomiting, they we need that treated first before we treat with fluids. And if his signs are severe, his vet can give fluids under his skin or via IV administration to get him hydrated.

Overall, this is not a good option to use in this case. So, if you don't have something more appropriate on hand, then it is better to give a proper volume of water until you can obtain a more pet friendly preparation because at the end of the day it is the water in that that is going to correct his dehydration.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)