Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog keeps making breathing noises like he's trying to

Customer Question

my dog keeps making breathing noises like he's trying to hack something, he's done it before but he's doing it several times now
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Sammy has been having a breathing issue tonight - I'll do my best to help.

If this is ongoing - do you think that you could get a video? If not, I understand. I know that it can be very difficult to accurately describe an odd episode like this. One thing that dogs do commonly that scares owners is what we call a reverse sneeze. Here's what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

Reverse sneezing indicates that something is "ticking" the back of their nose and throat. It's rarely indicative of anything serious.

If this is more of a cough (a forceful expiration of air rather than snorting or inspiring), then there are a lot of things that can make a dog cough including viral or bacterial infections (think like a cold in us), bronchitis, collapsing trachea, heart disease, or less likely cancer. Milder infectious types of cough usually pass on their own with time and TLC. If Sammy's gums seem pale, blue, or purple in color or he's having any respiratory distress, those are red flags that indicate the need for emergency veterinary care.

Please let me know what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)