Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 9 lb dachshund ate a choc. chip cookie (2 1/2 diameter

Customer Question

My 9 lb dachshund ate a choc. chip cookie (2 1/2 diameter and we're assuming semi-sweet chips ... just a typical choc chip cookie). Do I need to take her to a local vet ... we're travelling by car on the highway.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: she's 11 years old and in pretty good health ... I suspect the amount of choc chip was well under an ounce ... problaby 8 or so chips
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since she ate the cookie?

2- Do you know the type of chocolate (milk, dark, etc.)?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been 1 hour and 15 minutes ...
Probably semi sweet choc chips which are standard for a choc chip cookie ... probably no more than 8 chips and maybe only 5 chips in the cookie
We are travelling on the highway so no access to hydrogen peroxide ... we are passing thru Sioux Falls, SD and could stop at a vet .... if need be.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, it is not likely for 8 chocolate chips to be toxic to a 9 lbs dog. I would observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) she will be fine.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!