Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Weird Body Spasms Jerking, He came to me acting sheepish and

Customer Question

Weird Body Spasms Jerking
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He came to me acting sheepish and as I patted him his body starts to kind of jerk
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: There doesn't seem to be a spot that is in pain. Just a fit of this jerking behaviour like hiccups but not vomiting or anything
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruno is a Kelpie X Collie and is about four
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruno?
Customer: No he's really otherwise very healthy
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the jerking stop?

2- Has this ever happened before?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Did he get into anything?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Peter I took him to the Hospital. Had a blood test and they gave him diazepam. The blood tests were in the normal range, but his pupils were dilated, and he was a bit dehydrated. The Seizure or whatever it was stopped, so I've brought him home, he's had a big drink of water and will be monitored through the night. That's about all I could tell further.It has never happened before. There are no pre-existing conditions. We go to the same park from an hour every evening where he's off lead, but you can never be too careful that they don't eat something that shouldn't be there.

Thank you for the update. I am happy to learn he is doing better and has been seen by a veterinarian.