Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog yelped a couple of hours ago and started limping.

Customer Question

My dog yelped a couple of hours ago and started limping. Then he seemed ok. Now the leg he hurt is jerking repeatedly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It is possible that this is just a muscle cramp. I would try massaging the area for 5-10 minutes and then applying a warm compress to the area to increase blood flow. This should help if it is just that. If there are other issues going on, then a vet may be needed to get a full diagnosis or prescribe medication, unfortunately. There are no human OTC pain medications that are completely safe. Enteric coated aspirin is the only one that is somewhat safe, but it can still cause some mild gastrointestinal bleeding, so I don't usually recommend giving it unless absolutely necessary. Massage, warm compress and rest may be all he needs. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.