Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

2 week old puppy - very congested - took to vet yesterday -

Customer Question

2 week old puppy - very congested - took to vet yesterday - amoxi- is there anything else I can do to help her breathe - she is nursing and lungs not too bad yesterday
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 10 months ago.

HI, this is Dr. Gabby. Because she is so young we can not use many medicines for her.

You can buy some nasal saline drops. The human over the counter kind. Also buy a syringe or eye dropper. Put one drop in each nostril twice a day. That will help with some of the congestion and help flush out mucous.

You can also keep a humidifier in the room where she stays.

When you take a shower bring her into the bathroom and steam out her respiratory tract.

Monitor her hydration. If her gums feel dry she is probably dehydrated. To remedy that use children's pedialyte drink. You can put a few drops on her tongue every hour. Or, if you bottle feed her you can replace 1/4 of the water you add to the powder with pedialyte.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby