Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I not sure but i think my dog shihtzu just ate 1 200mg of motrin

Customer Question

i not sure but i think my dog shihtzu just ate 1 200mg of motrin the vet is not open yet, i tried to open his mouth but forget it. should i induce vomiting
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. Yes I would induce vomiting. The motrin can cause gastrointestinal bleeding.To induce vomiting first give 1/4 piece of bread soaked in milk.Then give 1 teaspoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide by mouth.Then run him around.If he does not vomit then give him another dose of peroxide.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
You can give him up to three doses of peroxide then then stop.At home vomiting is about 75% effective.Your other option is to take him to the emergency clinic and they can induce vomiting there.If you can not get him to vomit then take him to the regular vet when they open. They can give him prescription medication to protect the lining of his gastrointestinal tract.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?