Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Took 9 deramaxx
, none that we can see
, He

Customer Question

took 9 deramaxx
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: none that we can see
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't seem to be hurting right now, it's his bedtime so he's just sleeping like always. We aren't sure when he took them, it could've been anywhere from 3 hours to 1 hour ago
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Tosh 10
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tosh?
Customer: Deramaxx 100mg Tosh is 90lbs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
90 pound dog. 9 100mg tablets
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

So your dog weighs 90 pounds (41 kg) and ingested 900 mg so this dose is 900 mg/41 kg= 22 mg/kg

There is little data available regarding this drug’s acute toxicity. A 14-day study in dogs demonstrated no clinically observable adverse effects in the dogs that received 10 mg/kg (half the dose ingested). Dogs that received 25 mg/kg (close to what Tosh ingested), 50 mg/kg or 100 mg/kg per day for 10 - 11 days survived, but showed vomiting and melena (blood in stool); no hepatic or renal lesions were demonstrated in these dogs.

The ASPCA APCC recommends GI protectants at acute dosages of 15 mg/kg and above and IV fluid diuresis at dosages of 30 mg/kg and above in healthy dogs. Since we are right in between these doses the ideal scenario is to induce vomiting since there is a possibility that this is still in his stomach and if there is no vomiting please consider a veterinary exam in the morning (or before if there are symptoms of vomiting/ diarrhea) to prescribe gi protectants for him as a precaution

Since there is a chance your dog ingested this within the last 1 - 2 hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 3 tbsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

I hope this information makes sense. Hopefully he didn't ingest them but if there is a possibility he did precautions should be made. If this occurred in the last few hours he wouldn't be clinical, it would be once the medication is metabolized which can be 3-6 hours after ingestion

I am online another 20 minutes to assist with any additional questions you may have

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how is your Tosh doing since you asked your question yesterday? I would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online an additional hour tonight to assist you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman