Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My mini Aussie (30lbs) got into a fight with another dog and

Customer Question

My mini Aussie (30lbs) got into a fight with another dog and had to go through surgery to repair the tissue on her neck (and ear)... The tissue has some death and came open and had to be cut away and resutured... But it is pulled very tight. They gave her a pain shot at the vet a few hours ago and I have given her 50mg of tramadol but she is just laying there whimpering. I feel terrible. Is there anything else I can do for her pain? I'm sure the next 24-48 hours will be the worst but this is terrible.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It sounds like she is on good pain medication, so with issues like this, I usually recommend putting a cold compress on the area. It will help to slow down blood flow, which usually slows down pain, swelling and inflammation. You can do this for about 5-10 minutes a few times tonight. If your vet didn't prescribe and anti-inflammatory with the tramadol, that may help as well. Your vet should be able to prescribe some if they haven't already. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.