Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I think my dog may have swallowed a small part of a chicken

Customer Question

I think my dog may have swallowed a small part of a chicken bone. Now he's acting like he needs to throw up. What can/should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Muggsy. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had to let my dog out.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't sit at my computer waiting on a response. It's late and I'm going to bed.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. Adding psyllium seed (Metamucil) at a dose of 1 tablespoon per meal to each of Muggsy's next three meals will surround the bone and act as a bulk laxative to push it through Muggsy's GI tract. My primary concern about chicken bones is perforation of the GI tract which is usually evidenced by persistent vomiting and anorexia. Those are the symptoms which should prompt having Muggsy's GI tract X-rayed in an attempt to better understand how the bone is affecting him.

Please give me an update on Muggsy.