Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have an unneutered male bassett hound who is 5 years old.

Customer Question

I have an unneutered male bassett hound who is 5 years old. He shows no signs of physical pain and he has no heat anywhere on his body. He is eating and drinking like normal, but he is not acting like his normal self. He also yelps when you try to pick him up once he is on his hind legs and he would not let me pet his belly today. He is not wanting to come up the steps like he normally does. What could this be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. While I cannot be 100% sure via the internet I have to say that I have seen many such cases over the years where the final diagnosis ended up as some sort of back pain. Your breed does have an elongated back which does predispose it to back problems of all sorts up to and including serious slipped disk type scenarios. The back may be pressured when you try to pick him up and not wanting to come up the stairs is fairly typical because this can elicit more back pain as well if this is what is going on.

2. What is going on is going on at the moment is quite minor of course { And lets hope it stays that way } but because back problems in your breed can suddenly deteriorate to a very serious situation including hind end paralysis it may be as well to have your vet check your Bassett over at the next available opportunity just to be on the safe side. In the meantime please try and keep him as rested and still as possible. Your vet will be able to confirm the diagnosis and will have access to prescription drugs.

3. That said I have known some owners successfully treat minor back pain in dogs on their own with three days complete rest followed by a gradual return to exercise while giving at the same time an anti-inflammatory drug such as aspirin. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Bassett is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect back pain ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott