Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have a 13 year old yokie that's losing weight her hair and

Customer Question

I have a 13 year old yokie that's losing weight her hair and now a type of muscles spasms what could that be
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup has been losing weight and having muscle spasms - I will do my best to help.

In an older pet like your girl, weight loss can indicate serious disease. To some extent we expect older pets to lose a little weight just from age, but if you're noticing weight loss, it's always a good idea to have an exam by the vet. In older pets this could be a sign of dental disease, kidney disease, liver disease, diabetes, or cancer, among many other diseases. Your vet will start by getting a detailed description of your pup's lifestyle and what you've been noticing at home. Then they will do a physical exam and likely recommend some blood work to check her organ function. There are too many different causes of weight loss for me to be able to tell you which one is happening without actually examining her myself.

On the topic of her muscle spasms, I'm afraid that without seeing what you're seeing it'll also be difficult for me to interpret. If you can get video, that would be very helpful - and your vet will want to see it when you take her in if she isn't doing it when she goes to the vet. It could be pain related or it could be something more serious like seizure activity. Some older dogs have benign shaking of their front or back legs from time to time that isn't really a problem.

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)