Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a shutzu/yorkie mix. He has bumps around the base of

Customer Question

I have a shutzu/yorkie mix. He has bumps around the base of his tale and the hair is coming oiff. What's wrong
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. One of the main conditions which presents like this in the dog is an allergic dermatitis. Sometimes dogs develop a sensitivity to a small protein in the saliva of the flea and this causes skin lesions in the area you mention. In fact it does not matter where on the body such dogs are bitten by the flea, the rash and hair loss will still appear in the same place at the bottom of the back and the base of the tail. Where a dog is sensitive only a very small number of fleas would be required for full blown symptoms to develop. This sort of condition does not affect all dogs, just a small minority who are sensitive to this allergen.

Here is a link to an image of a dog with flea bite dermatitis : LINK

2. This condition is very easily treated by your vet who will if appropriate use anti-allergy drugs plus perhaps antibiotics. But If it turns that out it is flea bite dermatitis then you need to be meticulous with your flea control from now on not only on the dog but in the house as well.

3. While having your vet handle this is your best way forward I have known some owners treat this condition successfully using over the counter antihistamines such as Benadryl plus rigorous flea control. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers how Benadryl is used in the dog, including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his skin condition ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott