Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My lab gave birth to a litter of 6 healthy puppies 12 days

Customer Question

Hi! My lab gave birth to a litter of 6 healthy puppies 12 days ago. Everyone is doing great except mama dog still has the runs after 12 days. She is still acting normal, and eating well and staying hydrated but when she goes to the bathroom it is totally runny. Anything I can give her or is this normal? Thanks!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Post-parturient diarrhea is reasonably common and is multifactorial: it's caused by regular cleaning of the pups' bums, overactive gastrointestinal parasites (roundworms, mainly), and the change in hormonal and prostaglandin status in your Lab. It should be self-limiting soon and you're necessarily constrained to worming your Lab with an over the counter wormer containing pyrantel pamoate and then repeating the worming in 2 weeks. The pups can be given the same wormer in 2 days and then at 2 week intervals until they're 10 weeks of age. A change in diet isn't indicated nor is medicating her particularly because she's nursing and we don't drugs appearing in her milk.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So when i take the puppies in a few days for their first de-worming she should get one as well? She takes sentinel each month to prevent all the worms but would she have them anyway?

Correct, it's very important that she be wormed as well. Sentinel contains milbemycin oxime which should do the trick; however, dosing may be too little depending upon how much your Lab weighs. For example, the 11.5mg/230 mg tablet (milbemycin/lufenuron) is recommended for dogs of 51-100 lbs. A 51 lb dog might be nicely wormed; a 100 lb dog might be underdosed. Please continue our conversation if you wish.