Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Does spaying our female dog cause loss of bladder control?

Customer Question

does spaying our female dog cause loss of bladder control? If so, how do we fix it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. JEss. I am sorry to hear about Bella. Is she having loss of bladder control right now?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
several times a week
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Ok. And what happens exactly? You come home and urine is on the floor, or she wets her bed, or is asking to go out more often?

Have you witnessed these accidents? Does she stand and posture and pee, or is it that she gets up and a wet spot remains where she was sitting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when we return home she is excited and stands, postures, pees AND just lately we are seeing wet spots when she sits on furniture
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Ok. Thanks for the info! And she is otherwise normal? Give me a few minutes here to type for you- it may take 5 minutes or so, don't want you to think I have forgotten you!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Great! Thanks...
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

So I am attaching an article here on incontinence for your information: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1724

The urinating when she is excited is a different issue, since she is consciously posturing to urinated, that is not the traditional "spay incontinence", which is where urine accidentally leaks out due to a weak sphincter and the dog isn't usually conscious of it (this is what is happening when you see wet spots on furniture). The weakness of the sphincter may make it easier for the urine to spill over when she is excited though, so there may be some improvement of the excited peeing on medication, but probably not complete resolution.

The spay incontinence aka sphincter mechanism incontinence aka estrogen responsive incontinence is most often treated with either DES or diethylstilbestrol http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=487&S=0&EVetID=0 which is an estrogen, or with phenylpropanolamine (comes as a chewable flavored tab called Proin) http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=614&S=0&EVetID=0

These are both prescription medications which will require a visit to your vet. Oftentimes we want to check the urine just to be certain there isn't a UTI before starting them on the medication.

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Now, when you get home, do you walk in and greet your dog and act excited to see her? Also, is she free in the house or in a kennel? How many hours is she home for?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when we return home we can hear her excitement before we even unlock the door. Sometimes she is free in the house and sometimes she is in her crate -- depending on the length of our outing ...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
we don't see the article -- can you email it ?
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

It should be a link in my response and if you click on those hyperlinks it will take you to the website, did the links come through to you?

Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

So for the excited urination, many dogs do outgrown this problem. You do not want to punish or scold her if she has an accident. The best thing you can do is make your arrival at home as boring as humanly possible, and get your dog outside quickly so she can relieve herself outdoors (and give her a treat when she does it outside). It can be very hard to not say hello and greet your dog when you get home, but in these situations (and really with any dog who gets overly excited/jumps on you/etc. when you get home), the best thing to do is to completely ignore your dog until they calm down. So for you, I would just walk in, without speaking, without looking at your dog, open the door to wherever she goes outside to pee, and then open her kennel if she is in there, and take her outside. Don't talk to her/pet her/look at her, because all of those things will further excite her and also inadvertently reinforce her getting excited and make her think it is a good thing.

Did those links work when you clicked on them?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Links worked, thanks Dr.......... you have a great service. M & N Please check to see that we are not billed twice , we were a bit confused when we started...
Expert:  Jess K replied 10 months ago.

Sure, I will send a note to customer support.

If you have any other questions, please let me know. If you do not, please click and RATE our conversation so that we can know you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!