Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

We have started our 12 year old Bassett Hound/Beagle mix on

Customer Question

We have started our 12 year old Bassett Hound/Beagle mix on Tramadol to control pain from a degenerative disc in his neck. I've read what I can find on side effects, and this seems to be our best path. One thing I didn't find was a concern about constipation. Since this is not a true opiate ( but close) should I expect HoBo to develop this problem, and if so, what can I do to prevent it. The little guy doesn't need any additional strain.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you may call me Dr. H for short.

Poor Hobo, degenerative joint disease in the neck area can be quite debilitating in some pets.

Yes you are correct on constipation being a possible side effect of Tramadol. However guess what is also a possible side effect? Diarrhea. This is a no win situation sometimes for us veterinarians and clients alike!

However, I can understand how your would rather your pet have diarrhea over constipation. Lactulose is often prescribed for constipation issues at the first suspect that this is happening. I recommend monitoring his daily poops to give you the best chance of catching this early. However keep in mind that most pets will generally protect themselves from strain if it causes too much pain elsewhere in the body, especially in the neck area. - Dr. H

Hello this is Dr. Holloway again. I wanted to check to see if you had a chance to read my recommendation and to see if you had any more questions or concerns at this time. If you are don't have any more questions and are satisfied with my answer, I would ask that you please provide a positive rating as this is the only way I receive credit for assisting you. Thanks for your understanding!- Dr. H