Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

, I have purchase Echinacea root powder and not sure

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have purchase Echinacea root powder and not sure how much to give my dog. Toy Australian Shepherd, weight 35lbs, 19 months old He has a tumor and wanting to build his immune system.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also want to give him colostrum and Mangosteen. Not sure how much. The article I read did not say how much just what to use.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

In regards ***** ***** question, the Echinacea root powder can be dosed at a dose of 1.5 grams daily for a dog of this weight. Otherwise, for colostrum powder this can be dosed at 636mg daily for his weight. Finally, Mangosteen juice is usually given at a volume of 1/2 teaspoon twice a day

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I purchased capsules not juice....?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Fair enough. Do you have a milligrams per tablet dose or brand that I can refer to?

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
500mg
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

In that case, for a dog this size, we'd need to give ~300mg or 2/3rds of a tablet daily.

All the best,

Dr. B.

*Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI...The reason I've decided to put my dog on these herbs is because recently Buddy was diagnosed with cancer. 19 months old Australian Shepherd is awfully young to have cancer but unfortunately he does . Doctors recommendation is that buddy goes through extensive therapy to treat this sarcoma that he has developed. He also states that Buddy only has eight months to a year to live even if he undergoes the treatment. I'm second-guessing and I guess wanting a second opinion on why I should put him through all of this anxiety and pain if it is not going to give him a better quality of life and a longer life. I had been researching natural remedies for dogs with cancer. What is your opinion as far as going forward with the extensive radiation and chemo therapy for 18 straight weeks?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I agree that Buddy is quite young but we sadly see this with young dogs and even children. Its just a terrible situation.

In regards ***** ***** vet's treatment suggestions, I think it is important to know that cancer treatment in dogs is different from people. It is similar drugs and equipment but we don't treat at the same high doses that they do in human medicine. This is because we cannot tell our patients that current discomfort or sickness they feed is for a greater good down the line They just don't understand that. So, when we treat cancer patients in veterinary medicine, we actually aim to make sure that dog is comfortable and happy while we treat. This may mean we get remission and not cure but we make sure those dogs are comfortable while we treat.

In fact, before I was even a vet, I did work for a period of time as a radiation nurse for pets and I can tell you they were happy to come visit because each visit was a treatment but we made sure there were treats and toys and lots of attention. (And since we do sedate for radiation, they only knew that they had an injection, got sleepy, and then woke up for treat time). And it was similar for those occasions I was in the chemo ward (though we don't need sedation then since they have a catheter --so its only one poke with the needle when that is put in). So, its not as intensive, scary, or unpleasant as it is for people. And I would suggest considering speaking to the local oncologist and see if you can visit and see how they run things if this is an option you'd potentially want to consider with him.

Take care,

Dr. B.