Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 15yr old Daushund that has been vomiting days. It

Customer Question

I have a 15yr old Daushund that has been vomiting for 5 days. It happened overnight. He will not eat or drink. We have been trying to give him a can some version of ensure orally with a syringe. He's been to the vet 3 times. He's had a blood test that came back great and the vet cannot feel an obstruction. He has given him injections and fluids on every visit. We are running out of time.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do agree that if this has been going on for 5 days, something different needs to be done. I am assuming that your vet just ran some routine blood work. I would check to see if they ran a CPL test to look for pancreatitis. Routine blood work is not reliable for diagnosing that. Also, I would request some x-rays of the abdomen. While your vet says they cannot palpate an obstruction, most obstruction cannot be palpated. They may be very small or reside under the rib cage where it cannot be palpated. Palpation alone is not a very reliable test. It is possible that it could even be cancer, which can cause an obstruction as well. If x-rays are not conclusive, then an abdominal ultrasound is the next step. While you don't get the complete put together picture like an x-ray will give you, you can see a lot more within each organ. Endoscopy and exploratory surgery are the final steps, but hopefully it won't come to that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He checked for Pancreatitis on the blood test. It came back negative. He said an X-ray would be a waste and most likely not show anything if he couldn't feel anything. He expected him to snap out of it because of his blood work numbers.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Good. I am glad he ruled out pancreatitis. I disagree with his thoughts on the x-rays and ultrasound. If he can diagnose an obstruction with palpation alone, that would be a very, very extraordinary skill. Just not the case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If there is an obstruction, what next? Is he to old and weak for surgery? What are his chances for survival of surgery?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

It depends on what else is going on. If his liver, kidneys and heart are all functioning normally; then age shouldn't really matter for surgery. Certainly the sicker they get, the more risk for surgery, but if it is the only option, then the risk is far less of a concern when they are already dying of an obstruction. If there is an obstruction, the longer it goes, the more the intestinal tract has a compromised blood supply, which can lead to death of the tissue, leakage of intestinal contents into the abdominal cavity and a life threatening infection. At those points, the prognosis gets poorer and poorer. If he is getting no better, and your vet hasn't changed up the treatment or diagnostic plan for 5 days, I would recommend getting a second opinion from another vet. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Norman. How is everything going?
Dr. John