Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog has a temp of 103.3
, yes I too her to the vet

Customer Question

my dog has a temp of 103.3
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes I too her to the vet last night bcuz she had a temp of 105.3. she had a diagnosis of Toxin Ingestion-Juniper Berry. I had blood work done , fecal check and ultrasound. everything came back normal. before we went to the vet she threw up 5 times. 1st time was the tree and berries. then the nest 4 times were nothing nut foam. she had diarrhea 2 times yesterday. when we left the vet her temp was at 102.8 and she was given an injection of CERENIA. She has not vomited at all since yesterday. She however has had diarrhea one more time since. that was at 9pm tonight. i just checked her temp again and its 103.2. also today all she has ate was a tablespoon of her wet food ( natural balance ) and about 4oz of plain boiled chicken. I also have been giving her water with a cup as much as i can through out the day . I did just give her a little organic canned pumpkin and plain yogurt . shes laying down on my chest currently and only wants to be on my chest .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 10 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you. I apologize no expert has jumped in yet to answer your question.

Juniper berries are not known to be a toxin that causes fever in dogs. It is a problem in herbivores (horses/cows, etc), though. It might cause transient liver value elevation, which was not seen upon screening lab work (I would expect at least that to make us suspect the berry ingestion as the culprit). It might cause vomit/diarrhea. So, I think these may be incidental and not the primary culprit.

It is terribly frustrating that she is not improving, but it means that with this fever in combination with the vomit/diarhrea she needs at a minimum to be hospitalized with intravenous fluid therapy for rehydration (and electrolytes) and to help lower the fever. If you are not interested in hospitalization then she probably needs more than a one-time injection and needs to continue on oral Cerenia and be started on something for diarrhea. It probably would also be a good idea to recheck her chemistry profile to see if there is a delayed elevation of her liver enzymes which would then suggest toxicity exposure. This would be helpful because it may mean we continue to be patient and support her this will pass.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey