Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our vet prescribed Prozac dog. The dog has been aggressive

Customer Question

Our vet prescribed Prozac for our dog. The dog has been aggressive toward other dogs, and we wanted to use it to calm her down. The dog is 70 lbs., and the vet told us to give her 30 mg/day. This seems very high. We have adult friends who take only 10 mg/day, and that seems to take the edge off. The dog is very listless at this dose.
What would you suggest?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello Teri,

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Teri

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This topic is something which I have talked over a couple of times with clients at my clinic who were concerned when they compared human doses of Prozac with the dose levels I had suggested for their dogs. I think the drug may work differently in dogs than in humans as the sort of dose I normally suggest is up to 1 mg per pound of the dog's bodyweight given once a day orally. Which would work out as 70 mg in your case.

Please follow this link to confirm the above and read more on how this drug is used in dogs : LINK

2. However this drug does seem to work differently in different dogs so there is some degree of trial and error involved, basically if the drug is having the desired effect but the dog is a bit lethargic then it would be logical to reduce the dose for a few days and observe the effect. This of course is not dangerous as long as you do not exceed the 70 mg total dose in your case. If I was dealing with such a case I might suggest a reduction to 15 mg a day for few days to see if that helps and take it from there.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This vet does not know enough to answer my question. First of all, the dosage is 1mg per 1Kg. Second, he has no experience here. Someone else should have taken this. I deserve my money back.

Hello again Teri,

Thank you for your reply,

If you refer to the link that I provided in my original reply you will find : " For dogs, the dose of fluoxetine is 0.5 to 1 mg per pound (1 to 2 mg/kg) given every 24 hours, orally. "

Regards,

Dr Scott