Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 5.7 week old miracle puppy that we saved it's a

Customer Question

I have a 5.7 week old miracle puppy that we saved it's a accident from a gsp pointer female and a male chihuahua. All the rest of the litter were pure gsp and one has to be a mix because of the size we nursed it because mom and siblings wouldn't let it eat. The issue is its back legs are a little bowed and it walks weird don't know if it's from it being little or something else
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about this puppy. I'm so sorry you're having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
So I may know we're properly connected and that you understand how the website works (including that I'll need to earn your good rating in order to receive any compensation for helping you), please type in a short response below. You may rest assured you'll have my full attention and will receive a complete response once I know you're there.
Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 10 months ago.

It appears you are not currently online and available to discuss your question with me. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a live conversation with you. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available for other experts when you return online.
Thank you for using our website.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe you're seeing an ataxic pup ("drunken sailor"/"walking weird"). Please review this link: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_dg_spinal_malformations which nicely discusses the numerous congenital (present at birth) defects we might find in this pup. It can be a challenge clarifying which defect(s) are present without advanced imaging and considerable expense. Pragmatically speaking, because the prognosis for these pups must always be very guarded for return to normal function, most owners will take a wait and see attitude reserving euthanasia for those pups who worsen rather than become more stabile with maturity.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.