Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog had a tumor removed today from her gum...doctor said

Customer Question

My dog had a tumor removed today from her gum...doctor said he thought it would be alright..he sent it to the lab...she's been laying down since I brought her home and I noticed that she is now panting and her breathing is a little labored....if I start petting her on her said the panting stops and her breathing is better...what could be the cause...she won't lick on ice cubes and the doctor said not to let her eat till tomorrow...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what kind of details????
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry that your dog is having issues recovering from surgery. What you describe is often seen the first 8 hours postoperatively and due to opioid use. If she is comforted by you it is less likely to be pain but more opioid dysphoria.

Did your veterinarian send you home with any pain medication? If she was under anesthesia she likely had iv fluids so I am not terribly concerned about not drinking nor wanting ice cubes. Her gums are going to be sore from the biopsy and cooler temperature will be uncomfortable tonight

I would monitor her closely tonight for any symptoms listed below and hopefully the opioid response will decrease overnight. It is very common to see panting, whining, even a little wobbly on their feet overnight but this should resolve as the medications work their way through her system

Recommend a veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance tonight. I am online another 15 minutes to assist you

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on your dog to see how she is doing after your question yesterday? I would love an update when you are able!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman