Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has been licking s face and mouth constantly since

Customer Question

my dog has been licking his face and mouth constantly since returning from his evening walk. He is drooling and has vomited twice. I am concerned he ate something he shouldn't have or is having an allergic reaction. I have contacted my vet emergency number, but have not heard a response. any information or guidance is appreciated
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Luke is not feeling well. The primary cause of drooling and licking lips is nausea in dogs and the fact that he is also vomiting leads to this conclusion as well. Other possible causes include an abscessed tooth, a foreign body such as a stick in the mouth, a mass orally, or ingesting something that is bitter or caustic.

It is possible the nausea is from ingesting something he shouldn't but we need to limit anything orally because it will very likely result in further vomiting while he is still licking lips/ increased salivation...

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours which is for nausea and stomach acid buildup 4-6 hours after the vomiting subsides
- Take another walk if you are able (short to be close to home) which increases gi motility, reduces abdominal cramping and nausea but please no grass eating
- No dinner if you have not already fedto allow the symptoms to subside without introducing anything orally that might result in progression to vomiting
- Water only in moderation only if the vomiting has subsided for 4 + hours
- In the morning small frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken

Reasons to recommend a veterinary er

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration
- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it
- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable
- Swollen abdomen
- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest
- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5
- No interest in food for 24+ hours
- No urination for 12+ hours
- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour
- Productive coughing
- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope that Luke is feeling better since you asked your question

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am signing off in just a few moments ...

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!