Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My Bichon Poo had a kidney stone and it was large. He has

Customer Question

My Bichon Poo had a kidney stone and it was large. He has been on antibiotic therapy and Rx food. He's much better. I'm being told that he will always get infections unless the stone is surgically removed. I have been lied to about all of the tests.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Casper, Elizabeth. I need to know why you believe that you've been lied to but first I need you to clarify "kidney stone". Kidney stone is sometimes inappropriate used as a term for a stone anywhere in the urinary tract. Please tell me where this stone is - in the kidney, ureter, or bladder? Yes, if a stone is infected, it's nigh impossible to cure a patient of a UTI unless it's removed. That's easier said than done if the stone is inside a kidney. It's an easy surgery if it's in the bladder. There's also the chance of dissolving some stones; unfortunately the easiest ones to dissolve are no longer the most common types found in dogs.