Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My name is ***** *****. My labrador has 2 open wounds on the

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. My labrador has 2 open wounds on the top of his front paw, with small holes like an opening in the skin.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He had 1 small area that he licked the fur away and i could see a small opening in the flesh. it has been 5 days and it has started to heal and scab over but he has just developed a 2nd area. is grass seeds to blame?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is there any discharge from the opening?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a small amount of clear fluid, and it started 4 days ago. I have seen similar things known as grass seeds?

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Yes friend, it is possible for the lesions that you are describing to be related to grass seed. Other possible causes could be: An infection, trauma, etc.

In this case, I would have your vet examined the lesions to explore for a foreign body or grass seed. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Need to stop him from licking or he is going to delay healing. Pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Dilute 1-2 tablespoon for every cup of water. Use this mixture to flush the wound 2-3 times a day.

3- After flushing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter