Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just vomited yellow foam and has become restless and

Customer Question

My dog just vomited yellow foam and has become restless and shivering. In the past week he had a boutique of diarrhea and had soft stool last evening. Not sure what to do.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He just had a formed BM with liquid thru up some more foam. He settled for awhile
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now based on the signs we are seeing, it sounds like Kevin's upper GI upset is actually secondary to the lower GI signs. (Just to note, restlessness /shivering are just non-specific signs he is feeling unwell). That said, hopefully since he is passing normal stool now, we may be turning a corner here. Especially as all these signs can be triggered by bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). And the latter ones tend to be self-limiting (as long as they don't eat something severely harmful) and the former would be something his immune system would be trying to fight.

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, since he just vomited we need to rest his stomach for a few hours but afterwards can try him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I'd note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and he is steadier on his stomach, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and help with his stools. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, there are a wide range of agents could trigger this diffuse GI upset we are seeing. Still, hopefully as the stools settle, we can get that stomach settled too. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, test a stool sample if need be, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there. Depending on their findings, Kevin's vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication, antibiotics, +/- treatment for any parasites present to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** what you said and go from there
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad I could give you a plan of action here for Kevin.

Take care,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is the only way I am credited for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)