Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my dog ate one of my pills. Zofran, 8mg. She is 6

Customer Question

I think my dog ate one of my pills. Zofran, 8mg.
She is 6 months old, 8 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

I have not heard back from you, so I will leave my thoughts for your return. The good news is that Zofran is a drug we use in dogs. That said, she has had a double dose of the high end normal dose for a dog this size. Now I have been reviewing adverse issues we may see with this drug, but there are very few reports. In fact, not until we see overdoses 30x over the normal dosing range have wobbliness, tremors, and seizures been reported. Therefore, this is a low risk situation here.

With that in mind, if she just had this we could induce vomiting or treat with activated charcoal. Though since this is a low risk situation, we can instead monitor and use supportive care. In regards ***** ***** for her, you can offer a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat babyfood (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And since this is an anti-nausea treatment we'd hope that is all we need to keep her stomach settled.

Overall, this is a drug we use in dogs but is an overdose. Still, the safety margins are good and we can monitor for the next 24 hours. Of course, if she were to be a sensitive dog and have any of those signs I noted, then we'd want to plan to have a check with her vet at that stage.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )