Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog Callie started vomiting yesterday
, She might

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She might have eaten some stuffing out of one of her new toys or she could have gotten a chicken bone. I'm just not sure. She ate her breakfast yesterday morning and then threw it up within an hour. She then threw up most of the day and then was fine all night This morning she woke up really happy and feeling better, she drank water and I fed her some soft moist food mixed with water. She held it down, so two hours later I fed her some more and she held that down. Then this evening she threw up again I waited another 2 hours and fed her a little more because she was asking to eat and now she is crying because she wants to throw up and I can tell she's in pain
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. If I am not mistaken, it sounds like you may be concerned about a gastrointestinal obstruction. I would be at this point. She may have had a partial obstruction that got worse. I would check her gums ans press into her abdomen from both sides at the same time. If her gums are pale or brick red, or if her abdomen seems painful, uncomfortable or enlarged; I would get her evaluate by a vet immediately. I am not sure what breed of dog she is, but the bigger, the more concern about bloat. The problem is that there are not many OTC medications you can safely give to dogs for vomiting without knowing exactly what is happening. Pepcid (5mg per 10lbs of body weight daily) would be the only one. There are some cases that I would not even want to give Pepto Bismol for. One would be a potential stomach ulcer. Usually 1 teaspoon per 20 lbs every 6-8 hours would suffice, but if she really seems in pain, I would probably just avoid it and have her evaluated by your nearest emergency vet tonight. A big concern would be perforation of her intestinal tract by the chicken bone. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.