Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

What will happen if my dog eats yellow house insulation?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How much insulation did your dog eat?

2. How long ago did this happen?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About a cup and over an hour ago

Hello again Roberta

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. Insulation of this type can be very irritant to your dog's digestive tract. There is also some degree of risk of a blockage in the digestive tract depending on how much was swallowed.

2. In this sort of situation I usually do not suggest inducing vomiting as this type of material could well cause more problems on the way back up.

3. What may help is if you could quickly feed Max a few slices of bread or some mashed potato in the hope that this will form round some of the insulation material and serve to protect the gut lining as it passes along.

4. It is certainly possible that the insulation material may pass on its own with only minor side effects, but you should keep a good eye on your dog and if any adverse side effects of any sort should occur such as vomiting, lethargy, inappetance, straining or signs of abdominal pain then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Roberta,

I am just checking back in to see how Max is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the house insulation ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Roberta,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Max. How is everything going?