Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Can you clean a wound with betadine?

Customer Question

Can you clean a wound with betadine?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Betadine comes in two forms commonly.

The scrub has a soap component and is better used on healthy skin as a preparation to clean the skin before surgery.

Betadine solution however is routinely used to flush and clean wounds in a diluted form.

You can flush a wound with a mix of betadine solution (also called povidine iodine solution and available at the pharmacy over the counter) and warm water (mixed together in a syringe so it looks like weak tea), a couple times a day.

This flushes out contaminants, kills bacteria and helps the wound heal. This works well for surface abrasions and very superficial wounds. No need to rinse, just flush, pat the area around it dry and let the rest air dry.

However if the wound is a puncture wound, very deep, or very contaminated this probably won't work. Surgical dedridement is needed to remove excess dead tissue and get the deeper contaminants out.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.