Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 15 lb dachshund just ate 1 red seedless grape I

Customer Question

My 15 lb dachshund just ate 1 red seedless grape I accidentally dropped on the floor.
Is this a crisis?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. While even a small amount of grapes can cause problems in dogs, it is unlikely that one grape will cause a problem for a dog her size. It is always prudent to play it on the safe side though. You can always induce vomiting with 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide that can be repeated once in 10 minutes if no vomiting occurs. If she vomits up the grape, probably no problems. If she doesn't, it may be a good idea to have her kidney enzymes checked in a couple days. If she develops any further vomiting, lack of appetite, bloody stools, increase in drinking and urination or abdominal pain; she needs to be evaluated immediately. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dandelion. How is everything going?
Dr. John