Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Customer Question

Customer: Sure. I just adopted a wonderful 11 month old Pit/Lab mix. He is super lovey and an extremely calm and well-natured little boy. He has been with the foster family for about 5 months so we decided on a slow transition. Weekends only so he can get used to the house and area. He goes in his crate voluntarily when I'm at home, and I finally was able to close the door while here to do some chores. I've taken him to friends' houses where he checks in with me, but mostly enjoys running around with her pup, even when I left for a few minutes. I've even had a friend here and he was vigilant and calm while I ran to the store for a short time. Last night, I finally closed the crate and left. I waited outside (plus watched him on video from my phone) and he was barking, digging and throwing a fit in his crate. This morning I took him back to his foster so I can work, but this time, he didn't want to go with them. Needless to say we've finally formed a bond and I can tell he feels that this is now where he wants to be. I wish I could just pick him back up tonight and he'd be ok while I go to work tomorrow, but he hasn't experienced that with me yet, even though he is used to his foster family leaving him while they're at work. I don't want to keep him lingering. I spoke with a trainer that has interacted with him a lot and she said he doesn't have separation anxiety, it's more of an abandonment issue. What do you suggest? If he was ok with me being gone for 8 hours, I'd go get him tonight and not wait til the weekend. He really loves it here. It's calm instead of being with other fosters and young kids. He sleeps so soundly here. Sorry this was so long
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. I am sorry your question sat for a couple of days. I will need to ask you some questions to better help you.

Can you tell me please when you saw him acting out what did you do?

How long were you gone when you were watching him on the phone?

Are there many people in the foster home? How about other pets?

Have you had him since writing in to just answer? If so how did he do?

Are you up for some daily positive training?