Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My name is ***** *****. Iam trying to get an over the

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. Iam trying to get an over the counter med. for my dog.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Iam looking for a med. that would help like vetprofen.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

You do have several otc non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (nsaid) drug options but they may not be quite as strong as Vetprofen even though they are the same class of drug (nsaids). But, they may be worth a try, depending on what's going on with your dog. Those options are:

1. Aspirin at a dose of 10 mgs per pound of body twice a day or

2. Acetaminophen at a dose of 5 mgs per pound of body weight twice a day. Care should be taken if you have cats since this drug can be toxic to them.

These drugs should always be given with food to avoid stomach upset. They also should NOT be given to patients who are vomiting or taking steroids (or other nsaid drugs) since to do so might run the risk of double dosing and gastric ulceration.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb