Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

I had my olde English bulldog to the vet 4 times about s

Customer Question

Hi I had my olde English bulldog to the vet 4 times about his ears. They finally found a med that they say has to be given every 2weeks by only the vet and it has to be warmed up. This cost 69$ for visit & 49$ for med can u please help me get this med and tell me why it works so good ? Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 11 months ago.

Hello Nicole. This is Dr. Holloway, but you may call me Dr. H for short. I am sorry for the ear problems Bozley seems to be dealing with. He is a high risk breed for stenotic ears which can lead to chronic ear infections poor guy.

The medication that your vet is referring to sounds like a common medication that I am familiar with. This can come in a variety of different combinations but mainly it is an anti-fungal, antibiotic and anti-inflammatory combination that come in kind of a yellow goo consistency that has to be mixed in a specific manner and then placed in your pets ears and allowed to harden. This will typically cause a little temporary hearing loss, which is not permanent so it is nothing to worry about, and it will stay in the ears for a period of 2 consecutive weeks.

This medication works wonders for pets and owners alike who struggle with applying the traditional ear medications and cleansing regimens. I have a lot of owners who are more than willing to pay the little bit of extra cost to achieve good results with little to no effort on their end.

Now with this said, depending on the formulation that your veterinarian has it may behoove you to inquire about why the other medications failed in resolving Bozley's symptoms and to be perfectly clear why the vet thinks that his other ear medication preparation will likely be successful. Although this product works great on a number of pets, there are a few that have resistant strains of bacteria that could resist this medication even though it being effectively administered daily. If you and your vet feel that you have been unsuccessful in completely resolving your pets ear infection due to the fact that Bozley is just not cooperative and maybe you missed a couple of treatments that would increase the likelihood of failure, then trying the new medication without further testing is the way to go.

However if you feel that you have been applying all other medications as instructed and your pet is pretty cooperative, then having a bacterial culture done on the ear is preferred. Bacterial anaerobic/aerobic culture will specifically target the exact bacteria that is present and the medication that will rid it successfully. This information can then be used to formulate a more tailored ear medicine for Bozley specifically so that there is less chance of failure.

Also I will add that some pets have innner ear infections on top of outer ear infections, so please discuss this with your veterinarian as well to ensure this is not a suspsicion. Inner ear infections would also need additional oral antibiotics as well as topical.

I hope this information was helpful to you!. -Dr. H

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have had a culture and this is why that she used the goo stuff. She is an HR & a half away and wants me to come every 2 weeks paying an amount that is building very fast for the med plus a visit. I had to have my leg taken after a horse accident in July and it's very hard for me to get him there . I was wondering if I could please purchase the goo ! From u? Is there a script u can write or could I purchase the meds to mix myself?

Hello Nicole. I see you have gotten back on to continue the conversation.

I am so sorry to hear about your horse accident. Ouch!

Unfortunately the experts on this site are not permitted to prescribe any medications to customers because of the Veterinary Patient Client Relationship act. I would have to do a physical exam of your pet personally in order to prescribe any medications.

I too wish I could write you a prescription because I can sympathize with your situation for sure and I do see how getting to your vet is very difficult.

Is your vet not willing to work with you on this? I would inquire if you would be allowed to have a technician help you with applying the medication without the doctors assistance? Many techs can be taught how to administer the ear medication and so it is worth asking. - Dr. H

The mix can perhaps be purchased by you. You would however need the specifics of what combination of medicines the doctor has determined will work based on the culture results, then you can go this online compounding pharmacy to inquire about purchasing it yourself.

Road Runner Pharmacy - http://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com/vets/product-services-guide/ <-- just click on "View Guide" or you can call them

I hope this helps! - DR. H

Hello Nichole. I wanted to touch base from our conversation on yesterday.

If you are satisfied with my answer please make sure to give me a positive rating by clicking on the "Rate my Expert" button at the top of the page as this is the only way that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thanks and hope everything is going well with Bozley.

Best Regards

- Dr. H

Hi Nicole Mathews,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bozley. How is everything going?
JACUSTOMER-es3uf4l7-