Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 10 year old female labradoodle is lethargic, but eats

Customer Question

My 10 year old female labradoodle is lethargic, but eats well, licks her paws constantly (for about the last week) and developed some kind of sore on her tummy. I put ointment and hydrogen peroxide on the tummy sore and it's dried up and looks like it's healing after a couple days. What's wrong with her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you may call me Dr. H for short. I understand that Pesah has developed some issues with her paws. I will do my best to give you advice on what to do.

Any sores on the skin and paws is typically associated with an initial stimulus that causes severe pruritis (itching) in pets. As the pets begin to lick they open up sores on their skin and this can lead to secondary bacterial infections.

It is good that the sore on her stomach appears to be healing.

Joesph with skin infections it is quite beneficial if you could attach a photo of the areas of concern. This will greatly help the experts here visualize what you see and I can therefore give you a more specific and tailored response to your question. Are you able to do this? - Dr. H