Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

My 5 ,yrs old Chihuahua Mix just suddenly started to change

Customer Question

My 5 ,yrs old Chihuahua Mix just suddenly started to change behavior it seems she is constantly cold shaking she is also not eating and stretching a lot not moving fast and seems down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway, but you may refer to me as Dr. H. I am sorry to hear Sonia is overall not feeling well. These symptoms of overall not feeling well as very vague symptoms and we typically call what you are describing as the "momma test". There is something that just isn't quite right with our pet but there aren't many symptoms to speak of. Lets talk about some possible causes for her overall behavior and see what we can come up with.- Dr. H

So how long has she just "not been right"?

Did this just start today?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
3 days ago

Ok. What is her typical diet?

Does she get people food at all?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is shivering and won't eat
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Nope no people food dry food

Ok shivering can be a sign of pain. Also when pets do a lot of stretching, this is suggestive that she is trying to get comfortable. Does she seem sensitive in her belly?

If she has not eaten in the entire 3 days that she hasn't been feeling well, then I suggest you seek veterinary attention for her, because 3 days is a long period of time.

Toy breed dogs like Chihuahua's get low glucose very quickly. So whenever they won't eat, I suggest you give her 1 tsp of honey or karo syrup every 8-12 hrs to try to maintain her glucose levels.

Is she still drinking water well?

No vomiting or diarrhea that you have noticed?

I will also add this in here. She is a breed that is high risk for having sensitive stomach and a sensitive pancreas.

Inappetance and lethargy are very vague symptoms that could have a lot of different causes. However, if she seems to be stable enough to try some treatments at home initially, then we can try a few things.

1) Bland diet - boiled chicken + rice or cottage cheese work well OR you can purchase a couple of cans of Purina EN Gastrointestinal from your local petstore to help settle things down

2) Pepcid AC (Famotidine)- typically for smaller chihuahuas I start with 1/4 tablet by mouth every 12 hrs. You want to give this on an empty stomach approx. 45 minutes before attempting to feed Sonia.

3) Pedialyte (plain flavored)- she can have this in place of or in addition to her water. Just make sure she gets 1/4 cup twice daily in her. This will help to ensure she maintains normal electrolyte levels and of course keep her hydrated!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She is drinking wster

Ok great. Is there any more details you can give me. Does it sound like she is stable enough to try some things at home?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
she is

Ok good. Do you have any more questions for me?

Hey I haven't heard a response from you in a few hours. I hope that I was of some assistance in answering your questions to your satisfaction. I waited awhile for your reply to make sure everything was ok with Sonia. Is there anything else I can assist you with? If not? Please proceed with giving me a positive rating so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Many thanks! If you have any more questions or concerns feel free to direct them back to me through this chat.- Dr. H