Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 32kg Dalmatian who ate one of my 3.75mg zopiclone

Customer Question

I have a 32kg Dalmatian who ate one of my 3.75mg zopiclone about 30m ago. Please advise.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now this is a 0.11mgkg dose for your lad. It is half the minimum dose we see adverse signs with. Therefore, it would be considered a low risk. That said, just to note, this is a drug that can cause such adverse signs as wobbliness, GI upset, drooling, sedation, lethargy, weakness, and on rare occasion tremors.

With this all in mind and considering the time frame, we do have a few options. We could induce vomiting or administer activated charcoal to block any risk of adverse signs (which I am happy to discuss if you wish). Otherwise, since the dose is so low, we could otherwise monitor and treat to offset any stomach upset. If you wished to do that, we usually see signs last ~ 12 hours. In that time frame, we could put your wee one on a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled. And if we saw any nausea, then we could treat with an antacid. Common OTC options we can use here would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any know health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, this is a very low dose for your dog's size, so the risk here is low. Therefore, we can intervene if you wish to but otherwise can just choose to monitor and use supportive care.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I've been monitoring my boy he's fine. The reassurance is so worth checking the advice from a professional.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

I am glad to hear you are and hopefully we will see no issue from a dose this small.

Take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.** Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is the only way I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)