Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

Rokke
, and I have a 3yr old Male french bulldog who

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Rokke
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is ***** ***** I have a 3yr old Male french bulldog who has all of a sudden became afraid to drink out of his water bowl. He will not even go near it... This just started on Saturday
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Can you tell me the following:

Is he eating normally?

Are his food bowl and water bowl next to eachother? Are they at the same height?

Is he otherwise acting normally? Any pain that you have noticed? If you take his head, and point his nose up towards the sky, down towards the ground, and side to side towards each shoulder, does he act painful?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is eating normally
He eats off of a small plate and his water bowl is next to his plate... I have moved the water bowl away from his plate to a place he feels more comfortable.. but that did not work.
I moved his head and he does not act like he is in pain.
I know he is thirsty because he is going to the bathroom and licking the shower door and he will eat ice cubes. I let him outside and he went and drank out of the water puddles.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Very odd! Have you tried putting his water into any other type of bowl? Do he have any sores or wounds on his chin/lips?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried putting his water on a small plate that he eats off of and he cowered down and crawled over and took a couple of licks and then backed away like something was scaring him. I had my husband look at his mouth and gums since he is a Dentist and he said he looks healthy.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Interesting, so he would drink out of a puddle without fear but acted afraid of the plate as well? I am honestly stumped there. I have had dogs become fearful of their food or water dishes, and we always suspect perhaps something happened that spooked them when they were taking a drink or eating, that then they associated with the act of drinking or eating from the bowl.

Will she take the ice cubes out of the bowl? or was that out of your hand? If you put ice cubes in the bowl or on the plate, does she act scared as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just put an ice cube in his water bowl. He won't go near it... But I handed him the ice cube and he took it. He is scared to death of his water bowl... He won't take the ice cube off the plate either
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

Interesting. What I would consider is to get a totally new water bowl, different material, size, etc., and put it in a different location. Or put several different water bowls of different types in different locations around your house. In the meantime, you can continue to offer him ice cubes on a regular basis. I would perhaps sit next to one of the new water bowls and give him treats, slowly moving closer to the new water bowl. We want her to associate the new bowls with a positive experience and often times food or treats are the most positive thing we can think of!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am going to go buy new water bowls now along with new treats... I am scared of screwing this up because if he does not feel comfortable he will not drink from the new bowls... I will also try different locations.
Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

You could also try feeding him from the new bowl first a few times, or putting treats in the new bowl first. If he eats out of it a few times, then try ice cubes, then water... If this is continuing, then I would bring him to your vet for an exam to be sure there isn't a medical reason for this, and then they can discuss if they think he needs any sort of anxiety treatment! Poor guy! Best of luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, please let me know! If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay