Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog is moving slowly and shaking. Her eyes are runny and

Customer Question

My dog is moving slowly and shaking. Her eyes are runny and her ears and head are down while she looks up at me. I thought she might be in heat, but it has been 4 days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Are you home with her now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Was she having vaginal discharge? Is that why you though she was in heat?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have two dogs. They are sisters. In the past, their vaginas swell up a little, but i have never noticed discharge. Ive never noticed either of them shaking. Im afraid shes in pain?
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

It sounds as though she may be in pain. If you press on her belly, does she show discomfort? Is it hard?

The way you describe her holding her head,I wonder if she could have neck pain. If you take her head, and point her nose up to the ceiling, then down tothe floor, then side to side toward each shoulder, does she protest? What if you start at the back of her skull, and working your way backward to her tail, press down along her spine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Her belly is very firm.
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Ok. What about the rest?

Do you have a thermometer at home to take a rectal temperature?

Has she been eating and drinking normally?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I tried to move her head up and down and she wouldnt let me do it, but she is moving her head all around on her own. I just fed them, but im. Ot sure if pixie ate her portion or if the other one ate it. I do not have a thermometer
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Any vomiting?

Do her gums look pink and moist or are they pale or tacky?

What about if you press down on her spine?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No vomiting, gums pink, spine seems fine.
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Ok. So my concern here is that she is an unspayed (correct)? female who isn't feeling well and has a tense belly. Unspayed female dogs can get an infection in their uterus called a pyometra, which can cause them to feel lousy and uncomfortable. I don't know if this is what is going on with your dog, without putting my hands on her and being able to examine her it is impossible for me to say, but in any unspayed female who is feeling lousy,that is a concern for me.

If she has been acting this way for several days, I do think it warrants a trip to the vet's office, where they can take her temperature (often with a pyometra they have fever), feel her belly, and decide if they think that is a possibility, or if there is something else going on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is it something that an antibiotic will take care of?
Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

No. If it is a pyometra, it requires surgery to remove the infected uterus. I don't know if that is what is going on with her, but as I said, in an unspayed female dog not feeling well with a tense belly, I do worry about the possibility. Hopefully it is something less serious, but without having her examined you will not know!

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

I have to step away from my computer for a little bit,but I will be back, so if you have any other questions, let me know and I will answer them.

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

If you do not have any other questions, please take a moment to RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.

Hello? Did you have any other questions for me today? Do you have a vet you will be able to bring your dog to?

Expert:  Jess K replied 11 months ago.
Hi Brandy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pixie. How is everything going?
Jessica Keay