Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

There is a small cut right under my dog's eye. It looked

Customer Question

There is a small cut right under my dog's eye. It looked fine, but it is now swollen a little, and her eye is full of white mucus. My neighbor dabbed it with hydrogen peroxide after it happened. what do i do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway, but you may call me Dr. H for short. I have a lot of experience dealing with eye injuries and therefore can give you sound advice here.

Can you please take a picture of the eye as close as you can and send a link to the chat using the paper clip icon above please? I will need this in order to give you the best advice possible here. - Dr. H

Ok Samantha. I have to unfortunately turn in for the night. I will opt out of the message now so that another expert can assist you if need be. I will check to see if you question is still in the queue on tomorrow if another expert hasn't had a chance to help you yet. Good luck with Lily.- Dr. H

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

I'll follow up for Dr. H for you. Please clarify "after it happened". A small cut under an eye might be addressed with simple cleaning with over the counter chlorhexidine (Hebiclens in your local pharmacy) and then applying a thin film of over the counter Neosporin or Polysporin twice daily to the wound. If the cut were caused by a bite wound, however, a systemic antibiotic prescribed by Lily's vet is usually necessary to prevent cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue) and abscessation.

If her eye has been injured, however, you mustn't waste any time bringing Lily to her vet. Lacerations or punctures in or around the eye can become infected quickly with dire consequences. In essence, eyes can "go south" in a hurry. Her vet can directly visualize the eye and stain the cornea (the clear window of the eye) with fluoroscein in order to determine if the cornea had been scratched, abraded, or lacerated.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.