Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 13 year old Erican Eskimo has a frequent cough. Although

Customer Question

My 13 year old Erican Eskimo has a frequent cough. Although she is not over weight appears to have sleep apnea.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

While coughing can be due to a simple infection such as infectious tracheobronchitis ("kennel cough") at any age, coughing in a 13 year old is too often due to advanced heart disease, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD/sterile bronchitis), or perhaps neoplasia (cancer) in the chest cavity. I will X-ray the chests of these dogs without hesitation and I encourage your having Cece's vet do the same. After 43+ years of practice, I've learned not to assume that these dogs are coughing due to a simple infection and send home antibiotics for a week.

I'm concerned that she appears to be unable to stay asleep. That's worrisome for respiratory compromise; in other words, she's having trouble oxygenating herself and when she lies down the lungs adjacent to the ground normally collapse which reduces the available lung area for oxygenation even further.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dr. Salkin, Cece's groomer suggested that she may have CHF. She was crated 2 years ago and was found to have a "twisted" trachea.massage was recommended that why I have been massaging her throat and neck.

I can't see a mechanism for massage to be of value for any respiratory disorder although it may have a calming influence which would ease anxiety for such a patient. X-rays should identify an abnormality in Cece's trachea if, indeed, such an abnormality exists. Tracheal collapse is the most common of the anatomical disorders involving the trachea but isn't a common finding in American Eskimos; instead, Yorkshire terriers and other miniature breeds are overrepresented.

Yes, CHF and/or cardiomegaly (enlarged heart) impinging on the trachea and large airways are important considerations in such a dog. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Once again, thank you Dr. Salmon. I will be taking CeCe to her vet. You have a great help. SanDee and Ceceūüźĺ

You're quite welcome, Sandee. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.