Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

I just got a puppy last week and it had kennel caugh I'm

Customer Question

I just got a puppy last week and it had kennel caugh I'm afraid that my german shepard may also be getting it what should I do I made a apt with a vet for Monday for the smaller one and Friday for my oldest dog but I'm worried that they will get hurt. the puppy is on medication already
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hey this is Dr. Holloway. I am a licensed veterinarian and here to help answer you question about Roxie. Kennel cough is a very contagious disease that is usually not fatal in pets and can be managed very well in most cases. In your case you are looking for options to help treat your pet until you get her seen at the vet.

1)What kind of symptoms is Roxy exhibiting at this time?

2)Was Roxie vaccinated for kennel cough already as a puppy?

IF she was then it will help protect her from getting severe symptoms associated with Kennel Cough and the symptoms will be relatively minor in comparison to pets that aren't vaccinated at all.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She was vaccinated and just 2 days ago she started coughing and she has a runny nose

Ok it is good that she was vaccinated already. Great. Ok I can recommend cough suppressants over the counter for both pets. But they both must not have any productive cough. Are they both having dry cough only? - Dr. H

Ok. I was trying to locate over the counter cough suppressants similar to the ones kept in most veterinary clinics and I was unsuccessful. You will do better just using a dehumidifier to help with the congestion at this point until you can get Roxy into the vet for her kennel cough treatment, which mostly consists of antibiotics.

Also you can try to get Roxy seen tomorrow Monday at the same time that you are getting your puppy seen? I would take bother dogs and try to sweet talk them into treating them both! Oftentimes they will. - Dr. H

Hi Victor, I hadn't heard from you so I figured I would try to contact you regarding Roxy to see how things went today with the appointment. Hopefully you were able to get Roxy and you other younger pet seen at the same time for their kennel cough issues. I hope that the information I gave you was helpful and you received the care you needed for them.

Feel free to give me an update here in the chat. Best wishes! - Dr. H