Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian at Aloha Animal Hospital
92209471

12 week old Golden retriever; urinating often and

Customer Question

12 week old Golden retriever; urinating often and uncontrolled, has a low fever. What is wrong?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 10 months ago.

Hello this Dr. Holloway and I am a licensed veterinarian. I understand that Ruby is 12 weeks old and has an elevated temperature.

I would recommend the following

1) Have your pet tested for a possible UTI. These are more common than people think and can cause polyuria (increased urination) and polydipsia (increased drinking). Often the urine will be odoriferous, often like a fishy smell. Sometimes it can even have visual blood in it.

If there are no signs of a UTI, then I would highly recommend having some bloodwork done on your puppy at that time. If your puppy has not been vaccinated for Lepto, then I would highly recommend having them test for Leptospirosis, which is a bacterial infection that can cause acute kidney failure in young dogs. Leptospirosis is highly endemic in areas in warm, wet climates. It is transmitted through rodent urine in the soil and can be fatal. Not only that it is zoonotic (spread to humans) by coming in contact with your pet's urine.

Therefore, I highly recommend you seek veterinary help sooner rather than later. - Dr. H

Hello Vernon. I have not received a reply from you concerning the response I gave. If you are satisfied with my answer I would ask that you provide a positive rating for me so that I may receive credit for my answer. If you need further assistance with Ruby please do not hesitate to ask in our open chat. Thanks! - Dr. H