Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

My 180 lb mastif does not weight bear on s rear left leg and

Customer Question

My 180 lb mastif does not weight bear on his rear left leg and whimpers when he gets up from lying down. After a few minutes he then uses it as normal. He has no deformities and feeling his leg/joints does not cause him any apparent pain or discomfort. He hasn't injured it that I have witnessed and doesn't have any evidence of trauma. My thought is that he has some degenerative joint disease. Can I start him on chondroitin and, if so, how do I dose it? J
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 10 months ago.

Well,

At this age, I do not doubt there is some degree of DJD as you suggested. Whether that is in the hip or knee or elsewhere doesn't matter as much right now.

But, keep in mind, even if he gets back to normal, there still could be a underlying problem like a cruciate ligament taer in the knee. So, veterinary examination is important.

Yes, you can start a supplement. Don't expect any improvement for nearly 2 months!!!!

Yes. It can take well over 4-6 weeks or longer before any type of chondroitin, glucosamine, MSM, etc...is of any benefit.

How to dose:

My suggestion: Purchase Dasuquin. It is over-the-counter and carried by quite a few vets. Excellent product with dosing directions on the label.

But, you need more than that. You'll want the vet visit so you can get Boomer on to a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory like Rimadyl, Dermaxx, Previcox or Metacam to help out. This is by prescription only and may work wonders for him!

Good Luck

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boomer. How is everything going?